Monday, January 9, 2012

I HAVE THE WONDERFUL MARY CORRALES IN THE HOUSE TODAY!!!


I'm turning the crib over to Mary Corrales today. Be sure to give her some love at the end. So without further ado, here's Mary!

Do you practice what you write?

I admit that I enjoy flirting. I'm not talking the obscene clothes and crotch-staring 'come do me' type of flirtations. What's more a challenge to perfect are the soft smiles, and mischievous glances that draw a man close. 

What does this have to do with writing? Everything. In order to write a good scene between the hero and heroine, you first have to capture the full essence of interaction when the hero and heroine are together. Every glance, smile, softening of the eyes, gesture of the hands is essential for the reader to experience that moment with the characters.

Something as simple as a touch can have far different meanings. Whereas, a touch to the shoulder suggests familiarity with one another, a touch to the knee shows intimacy with one another. The lingering touch of hands while saying goodbye shows a reluctance to part company.

In order to fully bring such moment to life, we must pay attention and experience them for ourselves. Simple gestures can have a large impact on those around us without us even knowing it. When a woman runs a hand through her hair and pushes it back from her face, the gesture draws attention to the soft curve of her neck. Most men's gazes will be drawn to the soft skin at that vulnerable spot.

If you want to write realistic characters, you must learn to become a sensory person. Take special notice of your senses of touch, taste, hearing, sight, smell and intuition. I include intuition in the senses because without it, you would not be able to interpret the full meaning behind the other five senses.

Do you have a special sensory moment? Perhaps it's the rough texture of his hands, or the warmth of his body when he stands behind you. Does his scent make you inhale deeper? What about when he gazes at you with studious eyes, as if attempting to unravel a mystery?

All these are moments to absorb and reflect when you write. Tell me about any special sensory moments for you. Here's an excerpt from my latest paranormal erotic romance, Love's Demon Ways.


Alexine Coridan is lonely and unlucky in love. Vowing to live her life with no more regrets, she decides to have a one-night stand with the Nightfall Art Gallery’s reclusive owner, Ren Aloysius, but is he more than she is looking for? What forces will be unleashed when she sheds her inhibitions for a man who promises ecstasy with just one touch?

Excerpt:

Fingers traced the curve of Alexine’s cheek and lips, bringing her awake with a kiss. She opened her eyes to see Ren lying beside her, gazing at her with those stormy gray eyes of his. What an incredible sensation to wake up next to him.
“How did you sleep?”
She smiled and stretched. “Wonderfully.”
He leaned forward, pressing his lips to hers in another tender kiss. “You’re beautiful when you sleep.”
“You’re such a romantic at heart,” she said, cupping his cheek. Staring into his eyes she noticed a tint of green to the gray. “How’s your demon?”
“Calm.” He gazed at her a moment. “You understand about what we’ve done?”
“If you’re talking about me saving your life, then yes I know.” She shrugged. “This was the test your mother mentioned.”
“There are repercussions, Alexine.” He brushed a lock of hair back from her face. “You and I are bonded though my blood.”
“I figured as much, though I thought it was the incredible sex that did it.” Moistening her lips, she nodded. “So long as you’re okay, nothing else matters.” Pushing any lingering uncertainties to the back of her mind, she smiled. Besides, what more could happen that might weird her out? Not much from her perspective.
He blew out a breath and sat up. “We need to talk about the future. There are things you don’t know about yet.” He ran a hand through his hair.
Her gaze strayed to his magnificent chest and the dusting of brown hair that trailed down to disappear beneath the sheet. His body looked so delectable she wanted to shove him back on the bed and taste every inch of him. The thought made her smile and lick her lips.
“Alexine, you’re not listening to me.”
Blinking, she locked her gaze to his. “Yes, I am.” What had he been talking about? Their future or some such that she considered not as important as her licentious thoughts. “I’m just thinking about tasting you again is all.” She wondered if her horniness was a side effect of demon blood.

I love to hear from readers, contact me via my website, www.authormaryc.com or on twitter at http://twitter.com/MaryCorrales_A1.

Thanks again Mary for honoring me with stopping by today. And just another reminder, please leave a comment and let Mary know what you think.


13 comments:

  1. Thank you for having me here, Cynthia. It's a true pleasure to visit with your readers.

    Love all the sensual pics on your site, btw. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary, you remind me, as a writer, that it's the little things between two people that are often the most memorable. I try to do that in my writing but sometimes forget that's what's important.

    As far as my personal love life, when my husband and I spoon every night in bed, just the heat and closeness and whispered words mean everything to me.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Sorry to be late! Mary, thats a fantastic post and something every romance writer should know and practice in their writing. Thanks for sharing!

    OOOOOH, LOVE this book!!! Hmmm, actually, LOVE all your books!

    HUGS! Kari Thomas, www.authorkari.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great points Mary, loved the excerpt too. I so enjoy exquisite detail.
    ~Rose

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished working out. Good thing I read the excerpt BEFORE showering. It'll have to be a cold one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is the little things that make the big things worth reading. Otherwise, it's just boring. Your ability to weave a scene with sensual tidbits makes your books very special. You're a gifted writer.
    E.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane - Ahh, that sounds so romantic, spooning. I love that type of quiet intimacy. *sigh* :)

    Kari- Thanks so much Kari. Coming from you, I take that as the highest compliment!

    Rose - Thanks for coming by. It does seem to make the story all the more delicious to put in those little details. Plus, it often leads to the best parts.

    Leondegranz - Sorry about the cold shower but I'm very glad you liked the excerpt. ;)

    E - Thank you so much for the compliment. You make me blush.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post. Loved the excerpt too.

    Janice~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Janice,

    Thank you so much. I had fun writing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eyes do it for me every time, Mary. And that cautious and gentle touch to the arm, hand or face. Wonderful excerpt! I enjoyed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary, what a romantic description of well, romance! I think we sometimes forget the importance of those little sensory details.
    Michele Zurlo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good post, Mary and truly a delicious excerpt. Hot stuff, indeed.
    *hugs*
    ~J

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lisa - Oh, yes I know what you mean about eyes. Just the right look from a man can give a woman wonderful flutters in her stomach.

    Michele - Ahh, Thank you so much!

    J.D. - Hey, thanks for coming by. I do try to please. ;) Lol

    ReplyDelete

Have something romantic to say? Speak your mind here. On moderation, so don't fret if you don't see your comment right away.